Brett Kettle wrote:

This list recently reported the successes of John Wharington, Todd ?, etc establishing an OZFLARM-based clubhouse display for finishing gliders at Benalla. I’m looking to create something similar for the DDSC ‘pie-cart’ (we now have 100% of the club fleet and all bar a couple of stragglers in the private fleet OZFLARM-equipped). Cathy Conway’s give me some useful antenna advice and I’m trying to find a good display option.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a computer screen that will still be clearly visible with bright sky behind the observer? LCD? TFT? CRT? or another TLA?

My (limited - using a laptop mostly but also a PC/CRT on a few occasions) experience is that flat screens are considerably to be preferred in such conditions. With a flat screen one can usually find an angle which minimises reflections whereas this is very hard to achieve with a curved screen. With the addition of a shade, things improve considerably.

An old(er) laptop would meet the needs - but newer ones have a brighter screen and a wider viewing angle. With a laptop, you also open up the possibility of linking into the wireless LAN which means the duty crew would have access to the latest radar pictures, useful when storms are around! With 12v solar power in the pie cart, we should be able to keep things powered up for a day if we increase the collector area.

--
Robert Hart                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533                        http://www.hart.wattle.id.au