Ian I am no SME but here is my E10 cents worth.

I did a government grant proposal on Ethanol what a pity I lost that info when I lost a hard drive a few months ago.

Ethanol absorbs water ! you number one problem you are by the ocean the Ethanol will absorb moisture if there is high humidity.

The seals, rubbers and floats in fuel tanks may be subject to being broken down by Ethanol thus the danger of fuel contamination.

Fuel pump components are also subject to Corrosion.

Rotax engines are a story in themselves http://www.sportpilot.org/magazine/feature/2006%20-%2006%20June%20-%20Power%20On.pdf

Engines are subject to the harsh affects of 100 % Ethanol and need a process to coat there internal moving surface to protect from the Ethanol

http://www.aeroalcool.com.br/english/advantages.htm

We were talking 100 % Ethanol at that time we could get it for about 98 cents per litre cheap.

http://www.embraer.com.br/english/content/home/ numerous 100% Ethanol aircraft.

The Impanema runs on 100 % ethanol http://mediamanager.embraer.com.br/english/content/busca/detalhe_publico.asp?que_pagina=13&pagina_anterior=categorias

http://mediamanager.embraer.com.br/english/content/busca/detalhe_publico.asp?que_pagina=1&pagina_anterior=categorias

http://www.jabiru.net.au/ Jabiru is working on a 100% Ethanol engine has been for a while no one knows about that so keep that to yourself Ian !

http://www.manildra.com.au/ Contact Manildra they are the Ethanol producers in Australia they were very helpful they even offered some free Ethanol for my grant.

http://www.baylor.edu/bias/index.php?id=5302

http://www.baylor.edu/bias/index.php?id=111

Chris will know the guys name at CASA he is incharge of the alternate fuel research he is a Indian guy can not remember his name.

Why we do not convert the Pawnees to Ethanol instead of MOGAS is probably more related to why Gliding looses its members

     PA-25

     Description Av-Gas Alcohol
     Fuel (1)
    50.00
    8.60

     Oil
    0.86
    0.57

     Reserve for engine
    8.90
    5.70

     Reserve for propeller overhaul
    0.57
    0.57

     Spare Parts
    8.57
    8.57

     Maintenance
    5.70
    4.28

     Depreciation (2)
    22.30
    22.30

     Cost of flight hour (aircraft)
    96.90
    50.59

     Average Productivity (3)
    41 ha/h
    44 ha/h

     Average cost of ground and administrative structure per hectare (US$)
    0.45
    0.45

     Average cost of the aircraft per hectare (US$) (4)
    2.81
    1.60

     (1) Alcohol at U$ 0,15/Lt and avgas at U$ 0.91/Lt.
(2) A depreciation of both aircraft have been estimated in5.000 hours . (3) The average productivity of the aircraft running on alcohol increases, as it takes off with greater load in hot days and short runways . (4) This cost reflects only the aircraft, its administrative and ground structure.

Expertise, Capabilities and Experience
RAFDC has obtained Supplemental Type Certificates (STCs) for the use of 100% denatured ethanol for the IO-540 series of 260 HP Lycoming engines, for the O-235 series of Lycoming engines, and the Cessna 152 series of training aircraft. These were the first FAA certifications granted for a non-petroleum fuel and as such represented a significant step in alternative aviation fuels research and development. In May of 2000, RAFDC completed the certification of a Piper Pawnee, an agricultural spray aircraft. This was a dual fuel certification obtained for the use of either ethanol or Avgas without further modifications to the engine. With this accomplished, a considerable spectrum of the general aviation type aircraft has been tested and certified, as the Cessna 152 is a high wing type aircraft with a carburetted engine, and the Piper Pawnee is a low wing type aircraft with an injected engine.

Comparison tests on performance and emissions using three different fuels (100 LL, ethanol and ETBE) were carried out at the RAFDC's test stand. The tests were performed using an IO-360 Lycoming 180 HP engine. Due to time and funding constraints, the tests on this particular engine were limited to comparisons of performance and emissions of the various fuels using only the standard ignition system and standard compression ratio of 8.5:1. Additional performance comparison tests were done on a Lycoming IO-540 with a 10:1 compression ratio on the test stand at Barrett Performance Inc. in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Flight test comparisons for the three fuels were also carried out in a modified Pitts Special aircraft with a 10.5:1 compression ratio Lycoming IO-540.

Preliminary results showing specific fuel consumption improvements due to increasing compression ratios were about as previously experienced and as expected for ethanol. As the compression ratio increased from 8.5:1 to 10:1 to 10.5:1, the difference in consumption between ethanol and gasoline, decreased from 16 to 11 to 7 percent.

As already proved during previous programs, maximum power available on both ethanol and ETBE was greater than Avgas with ethanol providing the greatest increase (between 10 to 20% increase over Avgas).

Emission tests results were also compared. Hydrocarbons emissions were substantially lower for ethanol (about 80% lower) than for Avgas while NOx emissions were higher (about 18%) on ethanol than Avgas. CO emissions for ethanol were about 40% lower than Avgas. Hydrocarbon emissions for ETBE were about 50% lower than for Avgas, NOx emissions were about 9% higher, and CO emissions were 20% lower than Avgas. CO2 emissions were higher for both ethanol and ETBE. However, ethanol is 100% biomass derived so that there is a zero net contribution of CO2 to the atmosphere (the CO2 emitted during the fuel combustion is absorbed by the biomass during its growth). 43% of ETBE is biomass derived so the same percentage constitutes the total decrease in CO2 contribution to the atmosphere.

Test results clearly show that ethanol and ETBE not only have the advantage of being lead free, high-octane fuels, producing more power than Avgas, but also are more environmentally friendly, adding very little to the greenhouse gas burden

Mal

www.mals.net

http://www.boatus.com/Seaworthy/fueltest.asp
I think it is probably time to reconsider the use of unleaded with ethanol in motorgliders with glass tanks. I do know John Viney and Chris Kiehn (RAAus) went to an industry day and both of them came away thinking Avgas for aviation and unleaded for cars. I notice Shell optimax 98 fuel is gone and I believe the replacement has at least 5% ethanol but do a shake test with 1cm of water in a sample of fuel. I gather the guys at the refinery when the 98 car fuel is low on octane rating they bubble butane(?) gas thriugh the fuel to up the octane rating but when that fuel goes up the hill to Armidale NSW (3500ft asl) it is already below on octane rating as the gasses go out of solution.

Are their any experts out there on fuels?

Ian McPhee (skype   macca304)
Box 657
Byron Bay  NSW  2481  Australia
Tel +61(0)2 66847642 mob +61(0)428847642
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.mrsoaring.com