-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Monday, 2 April 2007 9:08 AM
To: Mal Bruce; Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Unleaded with Ethanol and glass fuel tanks

At 11:15 AM 1/04/2007, you wrote:
>Ian I am no SME but here is my E10 cents worth.
>
>I did a government grant proposal on Ethanol what a pity I lost that
>info when I lost a hard drive a few months ago.

Did you figure out how much diesel you have to burn to make a liter
of ethanol? In fact for energy balance you need about 1.5 liters of
ethanol or so to equal a liter of diesel.

The very best I've seen is around a 20% energy gain but that's in
good soil with lots of water and where you don't transport the crops
or the finished ethanol very far.

In Aus, likely negative but ethanol is a nice political "faux fuel"
that pollies can use to pay off the farming lobby and other rent
seekers while claiming to reduce dependence on foreign oil..

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
           Int'l + 61 429 355784