Thanks Chris.
Ian P
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christopher H Thorpe
  To: 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
  Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:48 PM
  Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] accident rate for gliders in Australia

  It seems to me that most of us get to hear about accidents and their likely
causes quite soon after they happen, predominantly through this forum.  While I
do not vouch for the accuracy of the following recollection, I suspect it is
not too far off the pace.

  2004 Astir near Bendigo

  ·         Tried to thermal away from low height on early (first?)
cross-country flight.  Spun in from a height too low to recover.

  2005 IS29 near Dalby

  ·         Tried to thermal away from low height on a cross-country flight in
a glider in which the pilot had limited experience.  Spun in from a height too
low to recover.

  2005 Janus at Gympie

  ·         Low in circuit on passenger flight. Passed up earlier opportunities
to land only to spin in from too low a height to recover when attempting an
outlanding.

  2005 LS7 near Benalla

  ·         Mid-air collision during lead and follow.  Both pilots aware of
each other.  Collision possibly due to misjudgement when one joined the other
in a thermal.

  2006 Blanik at Lockhart

  ·         Collision with winch wire.  Non-standard circuit procedures
involving landing from opposite end to take-off while winch was operating.
Apparently no one identified the risk in this practice.

  2006 Alpin at Caboolture

  ·         Non-GFA pilot trying to operate RAAus registered motor glider in
glider mode without appropriate training.  Spun in from a height too low to
recover.

  2006 Mosquito at Gulgong

  ·         Stalled and spun off a winch launch.

  2006 Stemme near Camden

  ·         Mid-air fire, probably caused by leaking fuel hose.  Said to have
occurred previously in this type.

  2007 Pucatek at Keepit

  ·         Overran runway into fence.  As I recall, Bruce Taylor, in a post at
the time, related some possible causal factors.

  The above is essentially a brief synopsis of what (If my recollection is
correct) happened.  However, we are also interested to know why each accident
occurred so that we may take the lessons on board to prevent a repeat.
However, reading this list one would have to notice that none of these
accidents is new - similar accidents have occurred in the past - so why haven't
we been able to stop them?

  In the above cases, did an accident occur because pilots pushed the margins?
Were they distracted, or suffering an illness, or became incapacitated?  Was it
over confidence, inexperience or poor training?  Was it weather/environment
related?  Was it airworthiness related (like the Stemme accident)?  The list
goes on!

  In many cases we are unlikely to ever know the real reason why these
accidents occurred or the factors leading up to it.   On the other hand, there
will be some cases where it is quite clear why the accident occurred and then
we need to consider was there culpability, ineptness, unforeseen circumstances,
or other "human factors" at work.

  It is unrealistic to expect such in-depth analysis of such very basic
accidents.  It is also unrealistic to expect someone within the GFA to pen a
report for all to see pointing blame at a particular individual or
organisation, for in the end any such analysis is mostly an hypothesis and open
to challenge or litigation.

  Someone earlier mentioned the UK, USA and German gliding authorities publish
accident reports.   If you take the time to look, you will notice these reports
are provided by the AAIB, NTSB and the German Ministry of Transport - the
foreign equivalents of the ATSB.  I do not see the National Soaring body
authoring these.   In Australia, accident reports produced by the ATSB are
subject to certain legal privileges that protect the authors and cannot be used
against individuals or companies for any role they may have played in a
transport safety occurrence.  The GFA is not afforded and cannot provide such
protection.

  To quote the ATSB."Because many accidents are repetitive in nature,
investigating these in any detail may not be justified, given the bureau's
limited budget. In such cases, the ATSB will not necessarily attend the scene,
conduct an in-depth investigation or produce an extensive report."  Gliding
accidents tend to fall into the category of "repetitive in nature", so the
lessons should already be known.

  I must disagree with the assertion that the GFA is doing nothing to alert
members.  In fact, GFA is actively reviewing and analysing accident data - or
do you really believe your RTOs merely file accident reports?  The results can
be seen in the new series of Operational Safety Bulletins issued from time to
time.  The Safety Seminars are also used as a forum for disseminating such
information and are open to all members, albeit it is acknowledged that not
every member is able to attend.  Similarly, discussion is also had at the NGS
Seminars.  Through these various mediums the message should be filtering
through.

  And as for our Queensland members, I recall the GFA president recently
provided them with a specific presentation on accident statistics and what the
GFA was doing.  Hardly "Silence" as Jeremy would have us believe.

  Christopher Thorpe