Anthony,
        While 3 years without a gliding fatality would be a great
achievement it means very little from a safety point of view if we
have the same number off accidents and the fatality numbers are simply being
transferred to the injury column of the statistical database. We still would
have had a bad year. It may also mean that some people just got very lucky.
I wear my heart on my sleeve on this topic because I am one of those lucky
ones who walked away from what could have been a fatal accident with only a
damaged aircraft and a bruised ego.

How many of you leave home in the morning thinking to them selves I am going
to crash my car or aircraft today? Hopefully in this forum the answer is no
one. So what we need to understand is why people who have no intention of
having an accident, many of them very experienced in what they are doing,
still have accidents. Fortunately a lot of research has already been done on
this issue, these kind of accidents and deaths cost millions in industry, so
before members of this forum try to re-invent the wheel I recommend you read
Professor James Reason or Patrick Hudson on the subject, it makes
interesting reading.

Jeramy - congratulations - it sounds like you are one of the few people in
gliding who truly understand the subject and are doing something positive
about it.

SDF