And then you have the odd ones out like the person who flew my old 15B, managed to get the check correct on downwind, put the wheel down, then went through a short final check and proceeded to raise the wheel again. Fortunately, the ol girl is quite slow on touchdown and it was on the grass, so just a bit of paint damage.
For me, it is identify the lever, reposition and identify the placard associated with the position. (It helps if it is placarded) :-)
Especially if it is a type you have not flown before, or are unfamiliar with.

Chris

On Thu Apr 26 9:24 , Matthew Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

Exactly why a rigid downwind check is not a good idea, but training
to have the glider in the correct configuration for phase of flight
is. In an ideal world, the 2 coincide. When they don't, expect trouble.

I wonder how many wheel up incidents are preceded by no downwind leg ?