At 08:52 AM 26/04/2007, you wrote:
When I have decided to land, I put down the under carriage. Then in the circuit, I look at the placard and touch (push or pull) the undercarriage lever and make sure it is locked down, and repeat the locking check a couple of times in the circuit in a OCD manner. I have had one landing with U/C up and one near one. Both were in a Blanik (for those that do not know, is not a disaster, just embarrassing). Both times I was early in my career as an instructor in the back and I have not done it YET when solo or with a passenger.

The first time, I heard my student do the checks but I did not check him as he was making me feel anxious with his circuit and my head was outside the cockpit. I have also had one near landing with U/C up when the student (also a licensed power pilot) picked up our mistake on final whilst doing his power PUFF check. We did not do a downwind (hence no checks) as we joined the circuit on base leg as were caught out low after some tasks.

PeterS

Which is why that "old pelican" Geoff Horwood wrote in Australian Gliding quite a long time ago that it is a "pre-landing" check not a downwind or FUST check.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784