Interestingly, I am in Singapore right now (isn't that where our price for Crude oil is set) and I am looking at a Shell station with unleaded at SG$2.01 and diesel at SG$1.58. In real terms the unleaded is about AUD$1.66 and diesel is AUD$1.30.

If only I could buy diesel at that price for my new turbo diesel that I got last week.

Stuart
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Shirley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia." <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] RE pawnee engine option

Here we go again. The most popular single topic on this list in 2007 was about tow cars.

The best way to lower your fuel consumption is to stay in the air.

:-)

Tim

Dennis Hipperson wrote:
Of course you could also use LPG.

Robert your C5 using 6Lt/100Km would cost you $9.88 /100Km in Melbourne with the current fuel price of $1.64Lt My 4lt Falcon on LPG uses 12.5 Lt/100km costing $7.61/100Km with the current price of 60.9cLt.

Dennis
http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/retail/diesel/national.htm

Robert Hart wrote:
Jim Staniforth wrote:
What is the current price of diesel versus mogas in Australia?
In the US, the fuel companies have figured out that they can charge more for diesel than even premium gasoline. For example, at the moment I'm in Las Vegas where regular mogas is about $3.65US per US gallon, premium mogas around $3.90, and diesel $4.35. These figures are $.25 or so less than at home in California. Truckers and those who paid extra for diesel vehicles are furious, as we all know diesel fuel is more easily produced. It's a matter of time before this daylight robbery happens in Australia, if it hasn't already. If so, this throws the economic advantage of diesel out the window and all you're left with is a bad smell.

Not quite true. Yes, here in Aus we have diesel prices that are about 15-25c higher than petrol. but (at least in my 2.0 litre turbo diesel Citroen C5) I am still saving money compared to the Mazda Tribute (2.6 litre, petrol), despite that higher price.

Towing Alice in her trailer on the highway I average about 8 litres/100km (without the trailer I get 6 litres/100km) whereas with the Mazda I got about 10 litres/100km (no trailer) and 13 litres/100km (with trailer).

Having experienced the fuel consumption (yet still sporty performance) of these engines in a hire car in Europe, this was a major determinant for me when I switched cars last year.