Hi Tim,

May I suggest a rethink of the minimum 200 gliding hours requirement to get
Level 2 independent ops? Given it is possible to get a full-blown PPL in 1/4
of that time, it seems a tad high to me.

Another scenario: Tom, Frank, Bob and Harry are all qualified glider pilots
with many years experience. Bob has a property where he can winch launch
from. They decide to pool their money and buy a 2nd hand glider and a
suitable winch. All are perfectly capable of turning up for a day, taking
turns flying their glider and driving the winch.

Why do they have to be members of a GFA affiliated club? They can't form
their own club, because (as far as I know) each club must have at least
one instructor. Being an instructor means that you must have so many
instructing hours to keep current - and the group just want to fly for
themselves, not worry about students. Since they don't want to be a training
organization it isn't an option. If they had PPL's or RAA certificates it'd
be a complete non-issue.

Also, I still think there should be a bit of paper to shoot for after the C
certificate. Something that says yes, this person is responsible enough to
be a glider pilot. He is responsible enough to be Pilot In Command - if he
buys his own glider, let him take passengers etc without instructor
approval. If he does something stupid it's completley his fault; not an
instructor 100km away.  I honestly don't see how this would hurt, and I
think it'd improve retention a lot. How many pilots would leave soon after
Solo, when they almost have this certificate in their grasp? Clubs would, of
course, be free to set additional restrictions on the use of their aircraft.

Of course, the GFA could always do something radical and make an online
questionnaire or something.

Best regards,

Al