Unfortunately, one of the four, Tom I think it was, doesn't have a level 2 ind
ops rating.
It's a bit sad really cos Tom is long time flying enthusiast and has been
flying for about 35 years, he has retired from full time work now and is
reasonably well off with time and money, that's why the guys actually got
together. All four of the group are like that.
In fact Tom holds a CPL which he got when he was in his youth. He has over 3000
power hours, about 900 of which is towing gliders. He also has about 150 hours
in gliders because, being a responsible tow pilot, he made sure he got
experience at both ends of the rope. But he was never keen on cross country
flight in gliders, sure he did a couple of little ones early on, but didn't
like the hassle involved in outlandings, even got abused by an irate farmer
once. After a few outlandings Tom decided he was just as happy floating around
within gliding distance of his takeoff point and did a lot of club passenger
flights instead. He never claimed any badges because he never put a priority on
them.
He was actually thinking that if the winching thing went OK he could buy a
plane, an Auster or something, which he could fly to airshows and flyins mostly
but use to tow some of the others if the full crew weren't there.That wasn't
going to be a problem as Bob was quite happy to let Tom fly off his property
and Tom had done many paddock retrieves. Bob's property was actually better
than many places Tom had towed from.

Tom meets all the requirements of level 2 except for one. He doesn't have a
Silver C.

If Tom is a member of a club somewhere, he can be a Level 1 ind ops, if the
club allows it. But that means the club is still "responsible" for his glider
flying even if he never turns up at the club from one year to the next.

However, all is not lost. Tom can still do the towing completely legally even
if he has no ind ops rating (1 or 2). He can also drive the winch for them
too. It's just that he can't fly the glider he shares with his mates.

Regards
SWK