It is a little hard keeping up with a lot of the rubbish being espoused on this
discussion list, must be
a change in the weather or the moon's phases at the moment?.

I am a little confused by the constant reference to the undemocratic system of
GFA. It doesn't
appear too different from the national political system. If you want to serve,
and have some great
(even radical) ideas, you only have to convince enough people that you are
serious and are
prepared to put in the hard work to convince the population that your idea is
worth the effort.
Unfortunately the most vocal writers to this list are not contributing in any
way to the sport, happy
to just do what they want to do, but loving to tell everyone else that what
they are doing is wrong -
easiest job in the world!

David Lawley or others who want to see some improvement can get onto the GFA
Board and save
us all. David, I assume you are on your club committee, if you have some ideas,
why not get your
fellow club members to let you attend the SAGA meeting (just like John Hudson
has done, and
David Conway, and Nigel and Anne etc). Then, if your ideas have merit, it won't
take much to get
SAGA to appoint you to the GFA Board. Then you get to give up 5 weekends a year
and spend as
much time as you can spare to seek views from your constituents so that you can
lead the GFA
along the 'right path'. Not too hard at all, and certainly meets my definition
of democracy.

It is easy for some of the normal doom sayers and critics on this list who do
"bugger all" to be
critical of outcomes or the pace of change, but then again you don't have to
balance your thinking
with that of others across the country, do you?

All that said, I strongly disagree with any push to extend the terms of the
board or executive
members. There is no need, and if you just leave the incumbents doing the job
then there is no
incentive for anyone else to 'stand up'. It sounds like the issue is around a
lack of succession
planning. It won't be good if they all expire at the same time, so I encourage
a few people to step
down a little earlier to ensure a better transition. Maybe we should support an
Aus-Soaring
delegate to represent this group on the GFA board to replace the current
members - we could
lobby ourselves?

Disclaimer - I don't use a spellchecker and have fat fingers, so any errors are
typos not spelling
mistakes.

Terry