Harry I see that at page 3 of the latest Soaring Australia is an article on Australian gliding accident and incident statistics going back to 2004.

On 29/05/2010, at 10:47 , harry medlicott wrote:

Hi Dion,

Your well written comments are spot on. A pilot of marginal ability is better off taking an aerotow or not flying at all .Proper training and maintenance of skills is essential.

Can't get away from the accepted fact that every adverse situation on a winch launch can either be avoided or handled which points to pilot ability and inadequate training as causal factors.

The BGA analysis of accidents and their program "Safe Winch Launching" appears to be reducing their accident rate, perhaps by half, but early days yet.Their accident rate would be influenced by - long winter break and lack of currency - generally much shorter airfields than Australia, often surrounded by unfavourable terrain - actual pilots may vary in personal skills betwen aerotow and winching - winching mostly used for training and early solos.

Rather sad that we have to look overseas for statistics. Nothing useful has been published on the relative accident rates of aerotow and winching in Australia so far as I know. In fact nothing much has been published about accident and incidents. Non judgemental and unidentified reports as to airfields or personalities published in SA , similar to that which appears in Sailplane and Gliding would be a good start. Believe we all learn from such reports. The thought goes through ones mind - musn't let that happen to me.

One small point in your notes. The Brits, and something I insisted on myself when instructing, was that a hand must be actually on the release in the early part of the launch. No time to grope for it when things are going wrong. As in avoiding a cartwheel, often a second is the difference between an incident and an accident. The Brits counter the argument that having a hand on the release may result its premature and unexpected operation by saying that by their records there has never been an accident following an unintended release. My glider has its release knob at the bottom of the instrument panel just beside and beyond the control column, awkward to find even when not under pressure. Have fitted an extension consisting of a loop of 4mm poly rope and handle which goes around the release knob and allows release to be held when fully back in the seat When instructing at CCSC had a spare loop handy for any pilot who could not comfortably reach the release knob. Probably not kosher by GFA. Pretty unusual but I saw a wing drop and start to catch the ground. The pilot saved the situation by instantly releasing.

Dion, with your skills you would make, assumimg you are not already, an excellent instructor,

Harry Medlicott

----- Original Message -----
From: Dion Weston
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Winch Launch Technique

Agree with you Harry - the winch is much maligned - but the stats Tim points to do seem pretty irrefutable - suggesting winching requires a skill level above and beyond that needed for aero-tow and that winch technique is generally a weakness in the training curriculum. I'd also add lack of currency checks to the latter.

I learnt to fly on a high tensile single wire winch in the rough and tumble and abrasive red dust of Bond Springs aerodrome, up on the edge of the Tanami plateau north of Alice. In some ways the frequent wire breaks there were a godsend. The assumption on launch was that wire would break. Any launch completed without a break was a bonus.

I had a wire break at 200 feet on my second solo, a wire break at 400 feet on my third solo and, to top it off, a winch failure (ran out of fuel) at 600 feet on my fifth solo. The latter was particularly interesting as the power loss was gradual not precipitative. The first two involved a straight in landing ahead and the third a modified cct. for a mid down wind entry back onto the strip.

My view - executed correctly there is no point in a winch launch where in case of launch failure it is not possible to release, recover and land back on the active strip.

This is definitely a learnt skill and one that does not automatically stick with you if not practised.

Best technique hints that made the whole arrangement work like a dream every time: - Centre stick pre-roll for best assessment of a two point pitch attitude. - Do not operate the stick in the early stages of the ground roll other than to adjust yaw balance and confirm or establish correct two point fore/aft attitude.
- When the aircraft has sufficient speed it will decide lift off.
- Positively identify the ASI moving upwards through 40Kts.
- Pull back on the stick about a centimetre or at max two finger widths. - All things above being in order, without further stick input the aircraft will rotate itself to best (i.e. safest) climb attitude and stick there with minimal overshoot. - As soon as the climb attitude is established check left and right for yaw attitude, begin to assess wind drift correction and, just to be completely anal about it, deliberately acknowledge that the airbrakes are fully locked away. - Feel for and positively identify you have clear access to the yellow release bung.

The rest of the launch as per normal re: pitch adjustment for airspeed, adjustment for crosswind and maintaining situational awareness.

This arrangement may not achieve the absolute possible max launch height possible but it does increase the probability you will remain mid-envelope throughout the launch - and that means max options on launch failure.

Dion Weston