From: Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Tue, 1 June, 2010 5:20:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] latest jet glider

At 11:17 PM 31/05/2010, you wrote:
> Considering we are in a resource limited world, 2l sounds a bit better to me
> than 5l+
>
> Todd

I ran the numbers for angle of climb. All numbers ISA sea level as per standard
practice.

For a 400 Kg flying mass modern 15/18m glider with 68 Kg jet thrust static best
Angle of Climb is at 50 knots or so at 7 knots climb rate.
At 500 Kg, 60 knots at 6.4 knots RoC.

In both cases CS22 motorglider takeoff performance is met.

You can go to 600Kg like the latest 18m gliders but you need full thrust (80Kg)
for the takeoff and it doesn't meet CS22 but still isn't bad. You can throttle
back after obstacle clearance and still get a good rate of climb. Just like
operating any powered aircraft you take the aircraft weight and conditions of
the day into account.

No problems here.
-----------
Obviously whoever made that comment about engine parts hasn't ever manufactured
anything. In principle it is correct. In the real world you need to know the
material specification, heat treatment pre and post machining, if any and may
need specially treated parts to machine - good luck with getting the raw
crankshaft forging, for example or making a crankcase from a billet with a CNC
machine. It can be done but is about a difficult as making a set of nozzle
guide vanes and a turbine blisk and machining to final shape. That is the only
thing that's difficult in the small jets. The compressors are automotive
industry parts, the rest alloy steel and aluminium and stainless steel. I think
there are more moving parts in the carby of a two stroke than in an entire
small turbine engine.
------------
As for a resource limited world - it seems we may already have run out of up
and coming engineering talent.

When has the world NOT been resource limited in the sense that people want more
stuff than they have and it costs more than they are really wanting to pay?
Just offhand serious considerations of resource constraint  goes back to Thomas
Malthus or more recently the Club of Rome around 1970. Their predictions for
the end of the 20th Century were way off.
I can remember a prediction about how photography was doomed because we were
going to run out of silver due to its use in photography. Efforts were made to
find a substitute but no satisfactory ones were forthcoming. Look what happened.

Sure we can *make* ourselves resource limited by refusing to allow mining or
drilling, or refusing to use nuclear power or spending our societal wealth on
useless energy sinks like windmills and solar panels but if this goes on ....
"eat your Greens" may take on a different meaning.

When it gets to whether 2 litres or 5 litres of fuel is required for a glider
self launch or 8 litres for an aerotow and it is a serious issue it won't
matter. Something as frivolous and trivial and useless as gliding will have
been banned, taxed or otherwise driven out of existence and the organisations
running it will happily aquiesce as they have done and are doing with all the
restrictions placed on the activity up to now.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:  mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com