G'day Mike & Dion

STATIC thrust is thrust at zero airspeed! Jet engines produce a low thrust at zero airspeed that increases with increasing airspeed up to a fairly high speed - so the acceleration of the jet ASW20 increases significantly as airspeed increases up to about 80 kt from my memory and observation at Waikerie - I saw the same flights as Dion did. Best rate of climb came at 80 - 90 kt as I recall Allan telling us.

Further, a LAME cannot be self taught or amateur: to get a licence he/she must undergo a 4-year apprenticeship with a significant schedule of experience during training - even if the exams are done by self-study!

The jet sailplanes look interesting, but they still seem to be a good way to convert fuel into noise. (Even if the other losses are less than propeller-driven self-launchers) Still a lot more efficient than hauling 544 or 1200 kg of Eurofox or Pawnee into the air as well - but I guess one tug is a lot less expensive than 20 or so self-launch units.

Wombat