On 04/06/10 18:30, Matthew Gage wrote:
Robert,

This doesn't create a problem with the devices - you can do this with more than
just an iPhone - most new devices that you may consider using for nav (phones,
pdas, etc) will contain this as part of the base chip.

The problem is with how we want to control or police it.

I suggest that trying to ban these devices (which also include some vario
systems) or software (which can be coded to mask the availability of an AH)
won't work, so don't bother trying.

We need to police the real issue (Cloud Flying), rather than aim to prevent it
by secondary means. This means us pilots need to actually do something if we
see it happening, rather than whinge in the bar afterwards.

For every method of trying to control devices or software, I will be able to
find a way to beat the checks.

Quite - so the current rule needs to be changed to say that - and we then need to handle the issue of how suspicious traces are dealt with.

--
Robert Hart                                  ha...@interweft.com.au
+61 (0)438 385 533                           http://www.hart.wattle.id.au