Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] 4 Corners story on QF32

I saw this doco and thought it was remarkably well balanced for TV. RR
did get the finger pointed at them fairly hard, but considering that
Qantas and their insurers are asking for something like $200,000,000
from Rolls, it's not surprising Rolls declined to appear on the show.
I think it did the ABC credit that they didn't go on an unedified
witch hunt after RR without the full facts.

I'm sorry to do the unforgivable and change the topic somewhat, but
it's still gliding and TV.

Did anyone see the Johnny Durand hang gliding section on the 7.30
report immediately before Four Corners? There was some brilliant and
dynamic POV footage of some low altitude flying and landings, one
where Johnny appeared to make his final approach very low over a
cloverleaf flyover and carpark, missing the boundary fence by about
20' before doing a perfect flare and landing.

There was also some spectacular footage of him looping for joy in
front of the morning glory… both air to air and POV. The segment
lasted about 5 minutes and was a terrific advertisement for HG.

One advantage that Johnny has got over the rest of us is that he's
both a top class pilot and a great one for dragging out the camera and
shooting some interesting picture at a critical moment in a comp.
Probably it does not do his result a lot of good, but the pictures are
often fantastic.

I have to say that 99% of our gliding footage is fairly pedestrian
compared with what they showed and is perhaps one reason why we don't
get sponsorship from people like Red Bull. I noted in the last Forbes
HG comp that there was $10,000 in prize money up for grabs.