Thanks Michael. What you state in your first paragraph is my understanding too.
Your use of the word "choose" in your initial post was the point of confusion.
In fact there was no choice.It was a "Buckley's Choice" - 50 tons overweight
was in fact as good as it was going to get.

Re RR, I guess that getting the contracts to supply a majority of the engines
on Boeing's Dreamliner, might be somewhat on their minds, and have something to
do with their 'no comment" attitude here! {Customers can choose either RR or GE
engines.}

Oh to be able to competently handle 5 different problems simultaneously! I
think most of the human race would settle for 1.

Talking of "fail safe" computerised aircraft systems, I vaguely recall being
told many years ago about a system designed for the military, which "when all
else failed" would automatically eject the crew to safety. In this particular
story, I seem to recall that the crew got into trouble - maybe at night ?? - in
an exercise which involved terrain following radar ie they were VERY low. When
it came to the crunch - if you will pardon the pun - the system worked
beautifully. There was just one small glitch. At the time of automatic
activation of the system, the aircraft just happened to be in an inverted
attitude!

Regards,
Gary