In fact I think it's 9 days GFA membership for $30 but the RA(Aus), the
ultralite boys, give their AEF's 28 days for free. How can they do it and
not us?

Reg Moore

From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of
gstev...@bigpond.com
Sent: Thursday, 8 September 2011 2:01 AM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] AEF fee

Cath,

Remember, that as things stand, this $30 fee gives the lucky AEF person 3
days membership of the GFA.

I therefore suggest to you that it is a measure of YOUR club's nous, as to
how you market this. Hint - the more you winch launches you give, the
cheaper (on average), each individual flight becomes. You mention 2-3
flights. With better planning and application I am sure this number could be
substantially increased, especially over the 2 days of a weekend. For
example when there is no lift, the AEF person does 6 winch launches @ $6 per
launch plus glider hire at 50 cents per minute with each flight lasting 5
minutes, my maths says that costs total $81, which means you can also add at
least $20 - $30 for your trouble! Grand total $111. Not a big deal.  {You
might almost have an adept person solo after this many flights! Ha ha.}

 If there is lift around then there is no reason why the winch launch should
not give an equivalent flight time to an aerotow launch. However I suggest
that the club may have to be a bit selective in just which pilot is selected
as PIC to do any particular flight, depending on conditions - like I say;
use a bit of nous!

If this is all too hard, then you could of course stop your whingeing, and
not offer AEF's. You will be well aware that statistics show that AEF's
serve little purpose in attracting new members to a club.

However see my earlier post this evening, as to the real solution. With
adequate Federal funding to the GFA, the would be no requirement to charge
more than an acorn fee (say 5 cents) to your AEF person to join them up with
the GFA (This requirement for joining GFA is based on legal advice - but to
my knowledge has never been tested in court, so make of that what you will).

I suggest that you carefully read my earlier post, and think very carefully
about the many implications of  my suggestions - and then do what you can to
bring about some positive change.

Gary