Everyone knows something that another doesn't know in soaring. Trying to figure
out the below, any thoughts from the floor?

The scenario: You've just left a CU, with the cloud direct on track being your
target cloud between 3-5km away with an average climb expected, direct is blue
and normal sink. 30* to your left/right is a whisp, not one that you'd use to
climb in - but one that you could deviate too in order to get reduced sink or a
hundred feet of altitude.

Do you, go direct through the sinking air, or cover extra track miles to the
whisp that you know you're not going to climb in, but get remarkably reduced
sink (or even a small gain in height)?

For me, I either always just lose out (more often than not) when getting to the
next CU, or gain a massive advantage with a 1000' height gain on a competitor
in that short cruise.

Have you got any rough 'rules of thumb' that you use in order to decide if the
short term deviation is worth it or not?

ie, how can I get to the next CU by beating the other competitors by second a
mile (as G.Moffat would say) if it's possible overall.

Cheers,
Woolley