As the pilot concerned, I can confirm the facts reported by Tim are pretty
well what I remember of the incident J

One of the reasons that I survived that ‘landing’ was some pretty efficient
management of energy; had I not landed virtually at stall, the aircraft
would have run into the fence and treeline at the top of the paddock – it
was a really small ploughed paddock.

Notwithstanding the fact that I got caught in an unlandable valley (a whole
other story on risk management), I consider it to be one of the strengths of
GFA training that I was able to deal with an extremely difficult situation.

A whole bunch of people contributed to that training.

·         John Ashford taught me the basic stick and rudder stuff, and that
it was perfectly OK to land on roads and paddocks (that’s why they call him
“Scrubby”)

·         Tom Bird showed me that with prudent energy management you could
get a Blanik to pull up in a very short field; we used to practise short
landing between cones on unsoarable days.

·         Eddie Madden showed me that you could fly quite long tasks at
circuit height, just moving along landing option by landing option.

·         Emilis showed me on some lead and follow exercises at one of the
coaching weeks organised by Bernard Eckey that you could stay aloft on soft
days just by gently wandering cloud to cloud in the gloom.

·         Paul Mander showed me on one task how to deal with flying in some
quite fierce storms.

·         Tony Tabart showed me that with patience you could stay aloft on a
very small ridge by slope soaring, and that eventually with enough
perseverance a bubble can come along and allow you to get back on track.

·         Lisa Trotter highlighted that by focussing the mind in useful ways
negative emotion can be used to survive.

On the landing that Tim and Gary are talking about, I was stuck in a valley
that was from memory, about 5000’ deep. I was about 2000’ above the valley
floor and worked out that I had to dive the aircraft below the treeline
threshold to build up energy, and climb quite steeply to graze the bushes on
the upslope at minimum speed and pancake the glider onto the hill. I
remember thinking at the time I made the decision to land on the side of the
hill that I was probably going to die. But that was wasted emotion, probably
best kept for the pub later in the day. I distinctly remember saying out
loud “It’s time to shine” – the phrase I had chosen after Lisa had
encouraged us to develop for ourselves something to repeat in times of high
stress to focus the mind and energy.

Nobody had told me how to deal with the situation that I was in, but the
training provided by the people who taught me to fly gave me the necessary
tools to put a plan together. If I had managed to get the glider to swing at
right angles to the track at the top of rollout, the glider would probably
have been undamaged. But, given the circumstances, I was happy enough with
the result….

So, to my mind, if you have the necessary set of skills, you don’t need a
plan for every situation (that would be impossible) – you can make up stuff
as the situation unfolds.

Sometimes we are tempted to criticise GFA training, but my experience is
that on the whole, the GFA does a pretty good job.

Just a few of my thoughts, and hopefully they are taken in the spirit
intended….

Simon Holding