Adam,

Is the wisp stable, building or decaying? No-one has identified that so far.
Building, go. Decaying, pass it by. You should know unless you have been at
cloud base - watch the sky ahead, not just cloud by cloud.

I broadly agree with some previous comments, but also no-one has mentioned
whether it is upwind or downwind (assuming that the direct track has a
crosswind component). A mistake (no better air) made after diverting downwind
is a bigger mistake.

Also no-one has mentioned whether there are other gliders already at the wisp
or headed that way - if there are, and they are clearly climbing, then go for
it. On some days the cycle may be short, so wisps are used often. Then again,
you can be surprised and use a wisp on a bigger day.

You have asked a closed question (assuming that if it is more than 30degrees it
isn't worth diverting). Some of the previous points may justify greater
diversions if very short distances are involved, if upwind/other gliders
climbing strongly etc.

There is no one simple rule of thumb - there are quite a few, and they have
greater or lesser importance on different days. That's why those who fly more
generally succeed! (So long as they aren't just repeating themselves).

Cheers

Bruce

Sent from my iPad