G'day Bernie,

Sounds to me like you have joined the presbyopes club-welcome aboard. It is
the long-sightedness of "old age" and it happens to everyone, usually
starting in the forties, even to those who've been short-sighted all their
younger life. The degree of presbyopia often continues to develop [usually
fairly slowly] until into one's sixties.

I'm not an ophthalmologist, but I do work with several and none that I've
spoken to would recommend laser surgery for presbyopia and although they
acknowledge that laser surgery works for myopia none of them have had it
done! I.E. those who need correction wear glasses.

As for bi-focal contact lenses, are you sure that they don't mean 2
different lenses, so that you use one eye for close work and the other for
distant work?

Finally, if you can't focus on the TV when you look over the reading glasses
it might mean you're a candidate for multi-focal glasses. As a long term
user of the same I can assure you that although they take a little bit of
getting used to, the pleasure of having the whole world in focus again is
well worth the fairly minimal effort.

Regards,

Colin

P.S. I still use some cheap but strong reading glasses for the really
close-up work like removing splinters or undoing knots in fishing line