Hi Bernie

As someone who wore contact lenses for 25 years before having laser surgery I
have the following comments.

Contact lenses: Correct hygiene technique is essential to avoid eye infections.
These days disposable lenses make the daily disinfection rigmarole redundant. I
don’t know if they can now make soft lenses that can correct other issues such
as astigmatism, however I believe that they can do this with hard lenses. I
would avoid hard lenses due to the disinfection requirements, and the chance of
losing one: you probably don’t care if you lose a soft disposable lens. Hard
lenses also take a long time to get used to.

I wouldn’t recommend any contact lens when swimming: (don’t ask…) but I never
had issues wearing them when showering or exercising.

As for monovision, I had this for several years before the laser surgery,
however it’s a bit of both worlds: you can see good at distance with one eye,
and can read with the other, however this comes at the disadvantage that
everything you see is blurred and clear at the same time. I was offered the
option of monovision for the LASIK, but I chose to have good distance vision in
both eyes.

Laser surgery. Like most, I was concerned about the possibility of the
operation going wrong, but the surgeon I chose had an excellent reputation and
record. I chose to have both eyes done at the same time: you feel absolutely
nothing at all, and when the foggles were removed a couple of days later,
voila! Perfect 20/20 + vision, and it has remained so ever since. I honestly
believe that it was the best money I have ever spent.

One potential issue is for pilots requiring a class 2 medical. If you turn up
at the next one with corrected vision, CASA will get upset and require
confirmation from your surgeon that your eyesight meets the required
standard(again don’t ask…)

If you have any further questions, just ask

Cheers

Derek