This is my contribution to more confusion about EASA and ICAO licenses (don't
read if you are after information about a competition license):

I started with aviation with Ultra Lights in Germany, learned soaring in
Australia tried to convert my (at that time) non-existing Australian license to
a German Gliding license. No way! I wound up to get a new license in Europe. I
opted to get my gliding license in Austria as this allowed me to do my training
in my own German registered glider which was by far cheaper than to do it in
Germany. Germany and also Austria requires endorsements for different launch
methods (winch, aerotow, self launch and sustainers - not including
TMGs=touring motor gliders like a Motorfalke or Super Dimona). In order to fly
a tug in Australia I also started to get a PPL(A) (at that time ICAO PPL(A)
JAR-FCL) which I thought would enable me to fly an Australian GA registered tug
- wrong.

ICAO is not the same as EASA. EASA will replace or supersede the national
European rules. EASA is not completely in place in whole Europe. Like in my
case my German ICAO PPL(A) JAR-FCL license was already converted to an EASA
PPL(A) JAR-FCL.
My Austrian ICAO-license will not be converted to an EASA license in the next
three years as Austria decided to postpone the transition to a later date. But
in the next (I think) three years all European countries will convert all local
licenses into European licenses. Some will be upgraded to something better some
will have less rights. For gliding there will be two licenses available LAPL
and SPL. LAPL and SPL have different requirements for the aviation medical.
LAPL has less equirements but is only valid in Europe. SPL needs a Class II
Medical and is again a proper ICAO license that is valid world wide in ICAO
countries.

If the option of getting a British license is still available then this might
be the best way to get an ICAO license sooner or later. Why not taking
advantage or the Common Wealth and the courtesy of BGA! Then when time is ready
you will get the license converted to a SPL. Downside is that you will need a
Class II Medical when you get to Europe. If your health is OK then this
shouldn't be a problem but will cost several hundred Euros. Depending on your
age it needs to be renewed every two years. This might make only sense if you
intend to fly in Europe and hire a foreign registered aircraft. Sometimes with
hiring a glider in Europe it is not only a question of getting permission of
the CASA equivalent it is also get a valid insurance for the pilot.

To comment on Michael: I think there is no good and better-All is too confusing
and everyone can do better. GFA & CASA for sure is ways easier to deal with
than a LBA and it is not simply only LBA now we will get EASA (Europe) in the
top then comes LBA (Gemany-federal), Luftamt for each state and Luftsport
Verband for competitions and sports aviation. This hierarchy reflects only
Germany and every European country has local rules. Enough for today - I'm
getting confused too.

Konrad

  _____