I don't dislike the K21, I just don't see the point to it in the 21st century
as it is a low performance glider by modern standards and I don't believe
primary flight training should be done in gliders nowadays for reasons I've
mentioned before.
BTW wasn't it you who was telling me in a phone conversation not long ago that
Vorgelat T35 was still a pretty good option for the finish?

Mike

> On 23 Dec 2014, at 6:04 am, Bernhard <ec...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> Good morning Mike
>
> Please allow me to point out that the last ASK 21 with Vorgelat left the
> factory about 20 years ago and
> the same applies to other gliders and other manufacturers.
> Sine we have taken over the agency almost 30 ASK 21 were sold to Australian
> customers alone and
> all but one (1) customer opted for a PU finish. Even after 10 years the
> paintwork on some of the PU
> gliders looks almost as good as new. Their is no suggestion that they ever
> required a refinish within
> their 18000 hours of certified service life.
>
> Your dislike of the ASK 21 is well known amongst the subscribers of this
> newsgroup. Of course, you
> are entitled to an opinion but fortunately your opinion is shared by many
> others and in particular not
> by people who operate and maintain ASK 21s. To date fife (5) Australian clubs
> purchased their
> second ASK 21 only a few years after getting their first one. Perhaps you
> would also like to know
> that the factory is getting close to dispatching their 1000th ASK 21. This
> would most certainly not be
> the case if the ASK 21 wasn’t exceeding our customer’s expectations.
>
> I’m looking forward to your reply but I would very much appreciate if you
> could refrain from the usual
> personal attacks!
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Kind regards and a Merry Christmas to Carol and yourself!!!
>
> Bernard
>

>> On 22 Dec 2014, at 11:32 pm, Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Ask the guys who've had to strip and refinish a Vorgelat K21.
>>
>> If you think the Blanik was horrible to fly you must have flown a badly
>> rigged example ( possible, given some of the rocket scientists maintaining
>> gliders in Australia) or your perception of flying qualities is somewhat
>> off. OK the comfort of the front seat is nothing to write home about ( my
>> theory is that the seat tester later got a job at GMH, walks in a crouch,
>> has long arms and shaggy hair all over).
>>
>> Mike
>>

>>> On 22 Dec 2014, at 8:02 pm, Derek Ruddock <drudd...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Our IS 28’s were a nightmare to maintain and regularly went out of service
>>> for maintenance or due to unavailability of spare parts.
>>> The K21’s by contrast are a delight: the only downtime has been for regular
>>> and brief servicing.
>>> One thing the IS28’s were good at is for the teaching of spins.
>>> Derek
>>> 205 flights and 86 hours in K21’s
>>> 666 flights and 300 hours in IS 28’s