Well I'm on record somewhere as having said that the Blanik was the greatest
disaster ever to befall Australian Gliding on account of the maintenance
intensive nature of the beast. I got my inspectors rating at a course where we
worked on amongst other things.....a Blanik. At the time I remarked that the
damn thing was too hard to maintain. 18 months earlier I arrived at RAAF Pearce
as met man and the met office was on a mezzanine floor in a Macchi maintenance
hangar. The Macchis looked strangely familiar in pieces and as I found out
later, handled about the same as Blaniks( very nicely). When your design
expertise is jet trainers I guess it shows that your glider structure looks
like that of a jet trainer.

I'm well aware of the way the commies operated them. When the thing had done
its hours the People's Gliding Commune Number 3567 would put in a requisition
and if all went well sometime later the People's Glider Factory Number 3 would
organise to deliver a new one.

Now the one thing about all the Eastern  Bloc gliders I have flown (last time I
counted it was about 60 different gliders and sub types from all manufacturers)
that their handling qualities are all excellent. Even under the collectivist
system, some people took pride in their work and they always took the time to
make the handing nice. I've even seen a quote from a USAF General who flew a
Mig 21 that had somehow been acquired and said  it was the nicest handling
little fighter he'd ever flown.

I've flown an IS 28 at least once. The instructor in the back ( Malcolm Jinks)
said he didn't think much of it but I thought it was fairly unremarkable.
Certainly didn't standout as horrible like the 45 minutes I once had in a
Phoebus C or the Ventus A/B unless you put on winglets and do the aileron throw
mod I designed and remove any friction as much as possible. Now go and check
the span, aspect ratio, airfoil sections of the 21 and the 28 and get back to
us.

Also flown a K 21 a couple of times in California for a few hours. Nice enough
and I agree a better glider to own as long as you buy the PU paint option. So
how maintenance intensive has the Vorgelat gel coat problem been?
T35 ain't much better and it is a disgrace that the manufacturers still offer
this.

If you were thermalling the Blanik as you say, I guess you never heard of the
concept of induced drag. It may have been indicating 25 knots but if you look
up the wing sections, the Reynolds numbers and do the calculation you'll likely
find that the CAS was a fair bit higher than that as that wing cannot reach
such high lift coefficients.Likely you'd have done better by flying a bit
faster at something resembling minimum sink at that bank angle.
As for flaps, a K21 doesn't even have any. Dick Johnson's tests on flapped
gliders had some very interesting information on what flaps do and don't do. An
LS 8 is just an LS 6 with the flaps fixed in a slight negative setting.

Mike