I was talking to an instructor yesterday who was working with the RAAF
cadets. I was a little surprised to see a couple of cadets flying the
DG 1000 solo and asked a few questions about his experiences.

He said that he was initially against buying the DG and voted for a
more heritage glider type but having flown a few hundred hours in them
considered that the DG 1000 was "the best bloody training glider I
have flown."

He did say that fitting spin kits to gliders was a hassle that they
did not need in their operations so the fact that the DG 1000 spins
nicely without a kit is good. He said that the DG did not present a
problem either in spinning, spin recovery or being too slippery and
making speed control in the circuit difficult.  Nor was it a problem
in transitioning cadets from a fairly high performance 2 seater to a
lower performance single seater such as the Junior and they had done
14 in the last few days.

I guess it is entirely possible that cadets pick up things faster than
old folk and flying a high performance glider from the outset is not
so much of a problem but I doubt it. There was a time when it was
thought that you could only learn to fly a hang glider by starting in
a Rogallo but as time went by and people learned in higher and higher
performance HGs, it was realised that slow and stable is not as
important as responsive and controllable.

The RAAF probably don't have the budget issues of a normal gliding
club but I would think that a glider like the DG is far more what a
student pilots expects to learn to fly in than a K13 or a metal glider
such as the Puchatek.