On 5/24/17 11:40 AM, Stephane CHAZELAS wrote:
> 2017-05-24 17:21:33 +0200, Joerg Schilling:

>> Do you have a pointer to the POSIX text that forbids a subshell in this case
>> when stdin is redirected?
> [...]
>
> I don't know if you'll find some text that *explicitly* forbids
> it to run in a subshell, but you won't find text that *allows*
> it (just like you won't see text that allows { a=2; } alone to
> run in a subshell environment)

"Command substitution, commands that are grouped with parentheses, and
asynchronous lists shall be executed in a subshell environment.
Additionally, each command of a multi-command pipeline is in a subshell
environment; as an extension, however, any or all commands in a pipeline
may be executed in the current environment. All other commands shall be
executed in the current shell environment."

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_12

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    c...@case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/