Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@oracle.com> wrote:

> We still ship a couple closed source shells in Solaris - the SVR4 Bourne Shell
> as /usr/sunos/bin/sh and a modified ksh88 as /usr/xpg4/bin/sh, but our primary
> day to day shells are the common open source ones - bash, ksh93, zsh, etc.

Is there any bugfix in /usr/sunos/bin/sh that is not in the Svr4 compatile
copmpile variant of bosh? Or is it unmodified since the Sun updates for
OpenSolaris stopped?

Is your ksh88 managed in a way that keeps it compatible with the evolving POSIX
standard?

Did you upgrade ksh93 since 2010? If yes, have you been able to keep it as fast
as it was in OpenSolaris? When I compile a recent ksh93 source, it is 21%
slower than the OpenSolaris ksh93 from April 2010 and 7% slower than a recent
bosh.

Parts of the slowdown are caused by the fact that the cat builtin is not in the
search path, and parts of the slowdown is caused by the huge binary that is not
using shared linking (fork becomes slow) but I doubt that this could sum up to
21%.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin