JMarc> With autoconf, since I want to use the autogenerated makefile
JMarc> rules, I figured out that setting PACKAGE to the right value at
JMarc> configure time should work. Unfortunately, I cannot get the
JMarc> name of the installed binary to be equal to PACKAGE.

Tom> There's no good way to do this. You can hack it, though. Create
Tom> the new executable with a fixed name, but make it "noinst". Then
Tom> install it using an install-exec-hook. (Remember to write an
Tom> uninstall hook.)

Thanks for the tip. Does it mean that what I am trying to do is not a
good idea, or that automake is lacking a feature? What I mean is that
I am ready to provide a more "standard" way of installing several LyX
versions concurrently, but does this standard way exist?

JMarc