JMarc> Well, at my site we have gcc-2.8.1 _and_ gcc-2.95.2,
JMarc> emacs-19.34 _and_ emacs-20.2, etc. I thought this was a kind of
JMarc> feature of some GNU tools. Is this way of fdoing things
JMarc> deprecated? A different --prefix is not very firendly to the
JMarc> users, since they will need to add yet another directory to
JMarc> their path...

If you look you'll find that gcc and emacs are basically the only GNU
tools that do this.  This feature isn't specified by the GNU
standards, and wasn't in wide use as I wrote automake.  So there
didn't seem to be much reason to add it.

We could add it, but it doesn't seem that useful in general.
Plus, you can work around it in Makefile.am.

OTOH, if somebody sent a clean patch to implement it I might check it
in.

Tom