JMarc> With autoconf, since I want to use the autogenerated makefile
JMarc> rules, I figured out that setting PACKAGE to the right value at
JMarc> configure time should work. Unfortunately, I cannot get the
JMarc> name of the installed binary to be equal to PACKAGE.

There's no good way to do this.  You can hack it, though.  Create the
new executable with a fixed name, but make it "noinst".  Then install
it using an install-exec-hook.  (Remember to write an uninstall hook.)

Another option is to tell the user to use the existing configure
options that allow renaming the installed executables.  This won't
work for data directories, though -- that part you have to do
yourself.  Luckily, that is easy.

Tom