Hi James,
   i am not sure why its happening at ur end. I just
now created a SO then when posting the delivery note i
changed the Update qty to zero . The order did not get
posted and i got a msg that "No lines for posting or
quantity = 0". earlier when there was a requirement of
posting the invoice for only certain lines i just made
the qty = 0 and did have to delete the lines.