Hi

As per my experience SQL Server 2005 performance is much better than '2000'.

1.       Please check whether the SQL Server setup is in line with Microsoft
recommendations.

2.       Go further and check things like disc-alignment. Take a look at
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/christian/archive/2007/10/09/disk-sector-alignment.aspx

3.       SQL Server 2005 engine is heavily optimized towards cluster indexes.
You will see a lot of cluster indexes introduced from V4.0 onwards. Please
back-port them. However, please note that there is a small chance that the
cluster indexes for some tables in standard Ax may not be appropriate with your
data usage pattern. In this case you will have to figure out the best fit
cluster index yourself.

4.       Last but not the least make sure you are running the database with
compatibility mode 90. (It is easy to forget this).

I must say I am a very happy camper since I started using SQL Server 2005.

Regards

Harry

rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm";
The code provided (if any) may be written from the point of view of a
third party and the programming style/development standards may suit
such a point of view.