this is an standard error which comes when try to post something for which
an order never existed, for example - there is no purchase order but u are
trying to receive, or for that matter, there is no sales order but u are
trying to ship.... :)

i guess it is more of an investigation of the problem rather than
customization, because there is something missing in the transaction. I may
help you with this if you could attach screen shots of steps u are
performing capturing the on-hand and transaction screens in it.

regards
-D