Deepal jayasinghe wrote:

    When I deploy a very simple POJO service it generates following as
    the service section in WSDL. As I know this is not nice and we
    need to fix this as soon as possible.
Why is it not nice? This gives us the ability to apply binding level security correctly which is not possible with the endpoint addresses we used to have.
As I replied earlier , you can figure out the SOAP version from the SOAP message , so you do not need to send the SOAP version in the end point address.

Why do you say it is redundant code? Previously we had http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/foo as the SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2 binding endpoints. Now say that client picks the SOAP 1.1 binding endpoint and accidentally sends SOAP 1.2 request.
IMO which is wrong. If he picks 1.1 then should send a 1.1 request.

That is exactly my point. If he picks SOAP 1.1 then you *should* send a SOAP 1.1 request. If he sends a SOAP 1.2 request we *should* throw an exception saying incorrect SOAP version. Earlier we were *not* doing that because we had the *same* endpoint address for both bindings. However now we can do that because by looking at the endpoint we can decide the exact binding which the client has picked.

Here the right thing would be to throw an exception saying incorrect SOAP version where as Axis2 server won't complain which IMO is a bug. Now if you use http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/foo.SOAP11Endpoint as the SOAP 1.1. binding endpoint we can do a prior evaluation of the request and throw an exception if we receive a SOAP 1.2 request which IMO is the correct behavior.
Only problem I have is having the SOAP11Endpoint name in the address ,

Please explain why do you have a problem with [service].[port] format ?

I do not mind sending that as some where else.

Where would you suggest that we should have the port name s.t. we can decide the intended port (or the binding) of the request and do throw an exception if the client has sent a SOAP 1.2 request by error where he would have actually intended the SOAP 1.1 endpoint ?

I know that the structure of endpoint address is important that it is something that we should not be mess around. That is the exact reason why I posted[1] it to developer mailing list. However I think we should be flexible enough to change what we agreed on if there are valid reasons to do so and if we don't lose anything by doing it.

One reason for using [service].[port] would be that it allows the server to do prior evaluations of SOAP requests hence make it less error-prone (As I mention in my earlier)

Another reason would be that [service].[port] format makes lot of sense if we want to support multiple policy alternatives scenario at the Axis2 server-side. Lets say a service requires strong authentication, but gives the client multiple options of SSL mutual authentication, username with a signature, SAML with a signature or Kerberos. It does it via a policy in the services.xml which contains an alternative for each scenario.

Now one option would be to do some processing of the request to figure out the option the client has chosen and then do a complete evaluation against that policy alternative. But it can be very expensive depending of the complexity of each policy alternative and of cause the number of policy alternatives which service exposes. Further there is a possibility that some policy alternatives are indeterminate by only looking at the request.

The other option would be to generate multiple endpoints s.t. each endpoint would correspond to exactly one policy alternative during the deployment time.

e.g.

<wsdl:service name="Version">
<wsdl:port name="VersionHttpSoap11EndpointWithSSL" binding="ns:VersionSoap11Binding"> <soap:address location="http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/Version.VersionHttpSoap11EndpointWithSSL"/>
    </wsdl:port>
<wsdl:port name="VersionHttpSoap11EndpointWithUsernameAndSignature" binding="ns:VersionSoap11Binding"> <soap:address location="http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/Version.VersionHttpSoap11EndpointWithUsernameAndSignature"/>
    </wsdl:port>
<wsdl:port name="VersionHttpSoap11EndpointWithSAMLAndSignature" binding="ns:VersionSoap11Binding"> <soap:address location="http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/Version.VersionHttpSoap11EndpointSAMLAndSignature"/>
    </wsdl:port>
<wsdl:port name="VersionHttpSoap11EndpointWithKerberos" binding="ns:VersionSoap11Binding"> <soap:address location="http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/Version.VersionHttpSoap11EndpointWithSSLWithKerberos"/>
    </wsdl:port>

</wsdl:service>

That way we can straight way say the option client as picked and evaluate the quest based on the target policy alternative with IMO is a better way of supporting multiple policy alternatives at the server-side. We need to use [service].[port] format if we are to implement the support for multiple policy alternatives feature.
Thank you so much for such a descriptive mail. I will think though and send a reply soon..

-Deepal

Sanka Samaranayake
WSO2 Inc.

http://sankas.blogspot.com/