Thanks for all the help so far on the SOAP/JMS work.
I think I have all the big pieces hanging together.

I've written a client, and the programs decision on the jms transport handler
seems to be getting confused during runtime.

Any ideas as to why the JMS transport is not being recognized below?

Here is the error:

2009/11/30 14:42:47,875 [main] ERROR ClientUtils - The system cannot infer the
transport information from the
jms:/ESTORE.S21IB.AUTHORIZECREDITCARD.REQUEST?transport.jms.DestinationType=queue&transport.jms.ContentTypeProperty=Content-Type?java.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory&java.naming.provider.url=ldap://localhost:10389/ou=DiPrenda,o=ibm&transport.jms.ConnectionFactoryJNDIName=WebServicesRequestQCF
 URL.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
net.paymentech.ws.paymentechgateway.wsdl.paymentechgateway_wsdl.PaymentechAuthorizeCreditCardServiceStub.authorizeCreditCard(PaymentechAuthorizeCreditCardServiceStub.java:284)
        at
com.canon.paymentech.client.AuthorizeClient.authorize(AuthorizeClient.java:27)
        at
com.canon.paymentech.client.AuthorizeClient.main(AuthorizeClient.java:53)

The Service Endpoint that I would typically use under Websphere is as follows:

WEBSPHERE:

jms:/queue?destination=ESTORE.S21IB.AUTHORIZECREDITCARD.REQUEST&connectionFactory=jms/PAYMENTECH.REQUEST.QCF&replyToDestination=jms/S21IB.ESTORE.AUTHORIZECREDITCARD.RESPONSE&targetService=PAYMENTECH&initialContextFactory=com.ibm.websphere.naming.WsnInitialContextFactory&jndiProviderURL=iiop://vasudv38:9064"

Where
jms:/queue?
                - Indicates to the pivot handler the transport
destination=ESTORE.S21IB.AUTHORIZECREDITCARD.REQUEST
- Indicates the request queue
connectionFactory=jms/PAYMENTECH.REQUEST.QCF
- The QCF
replyToDestination=jms/S21IB.ESTORE.AUTHORIZECREDITCARD.RESPONSE
- The response queue
targetService=PAYMENTECH
        - the target service
initialContextFactory=com.ibm.websphere.naming.WsnInitialContextFactory - The
class for the Initial Context Factory
jndiProviderURL=iiop://vasudv38:9064"
- The URL for my Websphere JNDI repository

The way I intrepret the AXIS service endpoint (from the JMS example) seems to
be as follows

Example:
jms:/StockQuoteRequest?transport.jms.DestinationType=queue&transport.jms.ContentTypeProperty=Content-Type&java.naming.factory.initial=org.apache.activemq.jndi.ActiveMQInitialContextFactory&java.naming.provider.url=tcp://localhost:61616&transport.jms.ConnectionFactoryJNDIName=QueueConnectionFactory

Mine:
jms:/ESTORE.S21IB.AUTHORIZECREDITCARD.REQUEST?transport.jms.DestinationType=queue&transport.jms.ContentTypeProperty=Content-Type?
java.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory&java.naming.provider.url=ldap://localhost:10389/ou=DiPrenda,o=ibm&;
transport.jms.ConnectionFactoryJNDIName=WebServicesRequestQCF

FYI: I've included all the required jars to talk to IBM MQ including
com.ibm.mq.soap.jar
My understanding is that the com.ibm.mq.soap.transport.jms.Handler class is the
class that the pivot handler looks to for approprate jms handling. Not sure
about axis. Typically on a Websphere non j2ee app I have to pass the following
VM argument.

-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.ibm.mq.soap.transport

I've also created the QCF and queue entries in ApacheDS and have verified that
a stand-alone JMS program can read, interpret and execute (produce and consume)
with those entries.

Sorry for being longwinded, but I think to figure out why the transport isn't
being understood the background might be good.