On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Peter Flynn wrote:

> And then I need to find out how to work CPAN auto-installs without
> downloading multimegabyte files first. Last time I tried to add a
> simple package it started to tell me I needed a new version of Perl
> and went ahead to download all 30Mb of it. But that's another week's
> work.

This CPAN installing a new version of perl thing, was a weird annoyance
(bug?)  that older versions of the CPAN module had, where if a Module
depended on another module that now shipped with the default install of
perl, it would insist on installing the newest version of perl.

Later versions of CPAN would ask you if you wanted to install perl, and
would happily move on if you didn't want to.

You could work around and old version of CPAN by first using
CPAN to install lastest CPAN module.  (whew!)

  perl -MCPAN -e 'install CPAN'   # not Bundle::CPAN

then CPAN would no longer attempt to upgrade perl when you wern't ready.

--fess