On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 08:21, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Peter Flynn wrote:
>
> > > Also IME it's much safer to build your own {everything} rather than
> > > using debian packages, RPMs, fink, etc. when it comes to using AxKit.
> >
> > It could be useful to document this at an early stage on the AxKit
> > site (unless I missed it).
>
> I won't put that on the site because I totally disagree with it, and it
> would put people off.

OK, maybe a mild comment :-)

> As a recent poster showed, it is possible to get AxKit to build quite
> cleanly on RH9,

Yes, all the earlier comments tended to indicate that it wouldn't work
at all with the default distro. This is encouraging.

> but I have a feeling you've now screwed your installation
> so royally that you may need to reformat and start again.

I try to avoid this :-)

> Never ever try
> and "hack" an RPM distribution to get it to work - it always ends in pain.

I didn't actually modify the RPM installation at all. I just removed it
and installed a lower release. Then installed manually-compiled
Perl (into a different place, but it probably overwrote something
critical without checking).

Hey-ho, back to the salt-mines...

///Peter