Well, I notied via the Live-headers plugin in Firebird, that AxKit with
GZip ON does not sent Content-Length.

HOWEVER, any mod_gzip site I've tried does not send a Content-Length
header either, yet the work without the error in Safari.

Of course, the Live Headers plugin could be smoking crack too.

-=Chris

In the last exciting episode of Das Internet, Matt Sergeant sent forth the
following words of wisdom:
> On 15 Jan 2004, at 12:20, Nathan Schroeder wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a bug in Safari / AxKit when serving gzipped
>> pages...  I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, and what their
>> workaround was?
>>
>> The error I get in Safari 1.1 is:
>>
>> Could not open the page "http://...";
>> The error was: "bad server response" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)
>>
>> The kicker is that the page actually loads and renders fine!  It's
>> just a really annoying alert panel that scares users...
>
> It's a bug in Safari that's "fixable" in AxKit.
>
> Basically Safari throws that up when you send gzipped pages without a
> Content-Length field.
>
> It's fixed in CVS.
>
> Matt.

Six of one, 1,426/2,852 dozen of the other.