I'm thinking there are various tricks that would let you do something like this.

You could use the 'root-tag' configuration option where the name of the root tag in your output triggers a set of stylesheets, that might work for you if you can generate different root tags, at least those can be determined dynamically by your CGI when it generates output.

Another option would be to use some kind of redirecting strategy where you either have various URLs that are just aliased back to your actual CGI, which then generates whatever output you want. In that case the original alias URL will control the styling. External redirects would be another similar possibility, figure out what style you want to use and redirect to variously configured URLs.

A stylechooser module might be useful as well, though probably not too good for integrating with httpd.conf...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Lo all,

I am generating xml using apache filter and cgi.
I can make a choice in the cgi as to what stylesheets to send into
the axkit pipeline.
This is all well and good when I am generating for the screen, but
how do I go about using the same cgi to choose a stylesheet for handheld etc?
Is there some way of getting at the logic used in httpd.conf for the
device settings ?

Basically, what I am after is the flexibilty of the httpd.conf setup, wrt
styles etc, but using cgi as the xml source.

Would I be better off using xsp and writing a taglib?

atm, the user fills in a bit of a form, the params are passed via url.
They are processed and depending on the users input, a particular page is sent back.
If in the cgi I could say, don't use me as the source, but use this cgi instead, I could use httpd.conf <files> to handle it all, is this possible?

Thx

John