Hi Leslie,

Welcome to the list. If you live in the New England area there is a
workshop at UMass at Dartmouth on Oct 31 presented by Cheri Mello and
George Pacheco. I attended a very similar one this past spring presented
by them. You may find it helpful.

My grandmother was a Carvalho, her parents were from Bretanha and from
Ponta Delgada. I have worked with the records form Sao Sebastiao in
Ponta Delgada and have the films on permenate loan at the local Family
History Center.

I know when you first start it is overwhelming looking at hand written
records in a strange language but I was in the same situation when I
started in 1990. The best records to start looking at are the marriages.
These records would list the name Virginio Augusto de Carvalho and most
records the names are written in the margin or at the top of the page.
Birth records would only have the name Virginio which may be harder to
spot. But Virginio is not a common name such as Jose or Manuel so you
are lucky there.

You have many friends on this list that will help you when you have
questions.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel
Epping, New Hampshire, USA

Researching Bretanha, Ribeirinha, Ribeira Grande, Achade Grande, and
Ponta Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores for, Pimentel (Costa), Carvalho,
Teixeira, Rocha