a "rural property". In a lighter note it is also the 5th speed in a car.

>From my experience we called a quinta a property which was usually well walled
>and accessible by a door housing a vineyard and/or a fruit grove.

Just my two cents worth.

Hermano

From: rfrancispimen...@comcast.net
To: Azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Alcunha meaning
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:00:14 -0400

Hi all,

We had a recent discussion about a surname with a number “Quarenta” which was
interesting.

I came across a family that used the name Raposo Quintanilha. Quintanilha is
listed as a family name in Guill’s History of the Azores.
What is the meaning of this name and is it a derivative of a number?  I know
quinta is fifth in latin. Is there a connection?

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel
Epping, New Hampshire, USA
Researching Bretanha, Ribeirinha, Ribeira Grande, Achade Grande, and Ponta
Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores                                           for,
Pimentel (Costa), Carvalho, Teixeira, Rocha