My father was Manuel Leal daRocha Homem, deom Terceira. His brother Jesse
Americanized the name to Holmes, and the rest of the immigrants followed
suit. I use Lionel daRocha Holmes.  My genealogist son Doug uses Doug
DaRocha Holmes.  Homem is not uncomon; the name has appeared several times
on the list, sometimes spelled Homen.  Because homem means "man" most women
don't use it.

Lionel