Thank you for correcting my mistake, David.  I meant to write Fall River but
wrote diocese instead.  It's been a rough month. ;)

It is a shame that St. John's had to close because I believe there should have
been more of an effort to save it since it was the FIRST Portuguese parish in
North America.  Since I work in the Catholic Church professionally I understand
the WHY of these things but there were other churches that could have closed in
lieu of this historic church.  Their records will go to Mt. Carmel but it will
take some time before folks will be able to search for those of us looking for
relatives.  Even I can't go to a parish and look up folks myself and a lot of
priests know me and are familiar with my associations. They have been directed
to be careful with the records, possibly because of identity theft and possible
because of the LDS wanting to film their files.  I'm hoping what little I can
share with them about our group will help them be more receptive to our needs.

Now, if I can only come up with the money to get a DNA kit on sale... ;)
Joanne

Joanne Medeiros Grota Mercier
Researching Bretanha (Medeiros Grota, Benevides, deSouza), Lagoa (Luiz,
d'Oliveira Homem) and Rabo de Peixe (Martins Gouveia)