Hi Sam,

his name was Jose Tavares Resendes, and this great grandaunt from whose
descendants, I am trying to find, was his sister. All I could find out for
now is that she married a man from Santa Maria but she was born in Santo
Antonio Alem Capelas. Her brother, my Great Grandfather, was born in Santo
Antonio Alem Capelas in 1900 and she was older than him. All I know is that
she was called Maria and that she married this man from Santa Maria and
could have taken his surname, Furtado. I don't have a clue yet if there was
any Rego in this line of ascendants. I don't know much about DNA tests, I
don't live in the US, I live in Azores and I don't think we can do that
here, yet. Santo Antonio Alem Capelas is in the Island of Sao Miguel, on
the North Coast. Santa Maria is the Island next to it, these two are the
western group, in the archipelago, of 9 islands. As far back as I go,
searching for my ancestors, I have notice that 100, 200 and more years
back, there were quite some movement between the Islands. I've read several
records where the baptized child from Sao Miguel, had ancestors of 2nd or
3rd generation, originally from Santa Maria, AND vice versa! If you are
absolutely sure that your Grandmother is born in Santa Maria, then its not
the same person, but if not, Maria Filomena Tavares could very possibly be
her IF she is born before 1900. I can also tell you that Resendes is a
quite common name in Santa Maria Island, and that there is a few lineages
of them in Santo Espirito Parish, and we could have a connection somewhere
via Santa Maria Island, where my direct lineage is from.

Best wishes

--
Ricardo Chaves