Thanks to everyone for their help.  I think I was able to find his birth
record and luckily, it includes the names of his grandparents.  I'm still
going to go through the rest of the records (this was on page 3 of the
book!), but I think this is his birth record.  I'm just going to go through
the rest to rule any other possibilities out. The mother's name doesn't
include Medeiros like on his marriage record, but it wouldn't be the first
time I saw a record missing a part of a person's name.  I suppose it's also
possible she married after his birth to someone with the last name of
Medeiros.

culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-B-1725-1740/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-B-1725-1740_item1/P3.html

Rodney