From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Isabella Baltar
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:50 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Documentation of CCA Images

I understand that is confusing, Richard, and I will try to explain how it
works.

First of all, forget the numbers assigned by CCA for each image, they are going
to make you more confused. If someone skips one page scan, as it happened on
that case, it will mess up the subsequent numbers; that is why in digital
conservation, we scan all pages, even those that don’t have anything on it.

Now let me try to explain as simple as possible, because is not that simple as
one may think, as rules changes from western to eastern societies. We read from
left to right and they read from right to left.

I will use the book I mentioned as an example. The book is in very bad
condition, especially on the front, where all the corners as missing, leaving
no clue on page numbering, except the dates of the baptisms that guide us to a
chronological order. Later on we start seeing the page numbers on the top right
side. They were assigned only on the recto side (front side of the page).

My record, Anna’s baptism, was on the front side of the page, 27r, “r” as for
recto (front). If the record was on the verso (back) side of that same book, we
would refer it as 27v, “v” as for verso, because no page number was assigned
for that side. We only use “r” recto “v” verso or “f” front “v” verso, when the
leaves are numbered on one side. Otherwise you won’t need to refer as recto or
verso, as you will have a different number on each side of the leaf.

A leaf is considered a piece of paper with a page on the recto side (front) and
another page on the verso side (back).

If my record was on the beginning of the book, where no page number could be
seen, due to the condition of the book, I would make a notation on the missing
corners on that part of the book, but sorted in a chronological order.

I hope I answered your question. Any other question will be very welcome. If I
skipped something, let me know. Sometimes I answer the emails in the heat of
the conversation and miss something.

Isabella Baltar

myportuguesegen.blogspot.com