Just to complement on what Bill said.

In Portugal, because all the banks were Government owned in the 1980s when
ATMs started to show up, they decided to create a separate company to run
the ATM network. As a result, all the ATM machines in Portugal belong to
this network, so the concept of "charging for widthdrawals" is simply alien
to the Portuguese. There's no such thing, period. As a side-effect, these
machines are also the best ATMs I've ever found in the world (yes, the
average ATM in the deep Azores will probably be a lot better than the one
from your US bank in the midst of SIlicon Valley). However, you'll probably
not notice it, as all the advanced features require a Portuguese bank card.
Foreign cards will probaly allow you to widthraw money and maybe charge
your phones (and also maybe to buy train tickets - I highly doubt it will
allow you to buy concert tickets). I highly advise against AMEX. Don't
bother bringing one if you're coming to Europe. Make sure your card is Visa
or Mastercard and you should be OK with our ATMs and in-store payment
terminals.

As to SATA, the delays are really not their fault. Those are islands in the
middle of the North Atlantic, if the winds go above a certain level, for
your safety and theirs, they will simply not take off. Have some
flexibility in your plans, and make sure that you make it to the island of
your US return flight a few days in advance. Flying to and from Terceira is
easier as the runway there is one of the largest in the Azores (it was
designated as a Space Shuttle abort landing site), but do account for
possible delays in your São Jorge / Pico connections.

João Ventura