Thanks Joao!  Hope all is well.  To add to your comments....
The Portuguese side of the ATMs may not charge, but I did get charged on
withdrawals from non-credit union banks (Banco Espírito Santo is my example).
As to the extra functionality, you are correct, I was unable to charge my phone
at the ATM and needed to go to a store.  Which is a good point concerning the
phones.  If you do get a Portuguese SIM, it can be charged at the original
store or you can go to many stores advertising the service.  You will want to
keep your packaging with the SIM number on it for easy reference when charging.
Concerning the planes, my basic message is to take the delays with patience.
We flew in and out of Terceira and had delays both ways.  Many of the seasoned
travelers simply accepted the delay as a part of flying with SATA.  The delay
on departure from the Azores was due to mechanical difficulties with the plane
and they had to contract for another plane from Atlas Air.  It was a much
larger plane and made the trip from Terceira to Oakland without the Toronto
fueling stop.  We enjoyed the flight much more and got to spend almost two more
days on Terceira.  Oh, we were able to see the bull fight in Altares with the
extra time.  One of the unplanned highlights of our trip was working with the
taxi driver to figure out where the event was (way out in the country) and then
enjoying all of the people in the mountains with a view of Graciosa in the
background.  So, things can work out even with the delays.  Just set
expectations appropriately.  Here is a description of Altares if you happen to
be there during their bull fight: Altares - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|   |
| Altares - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaAltares is a civil parish in the
municipality of Angra do Heroísmo on the Portuguese island of Terceira in the
archipelago of the Azores. The population in 2011 was... |
|  |
| View on en.wikipedia.org | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Best Regards,
Bill